- Invoices are part of the sales order family.
- A sales order must first be created before an invoice can be created.
- Each order can have multiple invoices.
- Each line item from the sales order can be invoiced separately (unless packages are assigned before the invoice is created, in which case each package can be also invoiced separately)
- Pricing cannot be adjusted on invoices, only on sales orders
- Discounts / Charges / Taxes can be applied to invoices independently of sales orders
- If a sales order has one invoice, updating the SO (whether changing the line items or changing charge / discount / taxes) will prompt the user to update the invoice
- If a sales order has more than one invoice, updating the SO's charge / discount / taxes will not propagate to the multiple invoices
- If same line item is added on an SO, it cannot have the same exact price per quantity as this would trigger an error; if you must charge the same price, add $0.01 to the price. So if you have a line item that is $4.99 and you wish to add it twice, make one of them $4.9901 The same price will display to the customer but doing this will prevent errors you may experience otherwise.
As mentioned above, invoices can be created after a sales order is created, or at the time the sales order is being created if you 'save and invoice' at the time of saving the sales order. Invoices have various fields which are explained in the following sections.
Edit Invoice Form
To edit the invoice, you can click the diagonal pen icon on the top right of the invoice if looking at the invoice from the sales dashboard view. This is where edits can be made to the details of the invoice.
This invoice edit form can also be accessed by clicking the 3 action dots on the invoice details page and selecting 'Edit Invoice.' The fields of the form are explained in detail below.
The sales order this invoice is associated with by default. Invoices can also be reassigned to a different sales order.
Select a billing address (can have multiple locations if you added them to your customer’s Company info)
Invoice Date and Due Date
Set the Invoice Date as desired, a common choice is selecting the day the order will be physically delivered. Choose the due date at your discretion or as dictated by terms outlined under Settings > Customize Distru > Payment Terms
Whichever user is responsible for the invoice, typically the Sales Rep
This field will auto populate from internal notes on the sales order upon creation. Edits made to this field will not update the internal notes on the sales order. Anything entered here will only be viewable by your staff. It's a great place for sales to make notes for the order fulfillment team.
Message to Customer
This field will also populate from the sales order. Default messages can be set to appear on every sales order (and therefore every subsequent invoice) by navigating to Settings > Company > Company Settings > Sales Order Settings > Default External Notes (ex: Thank you for your order!). Anything entered in this field will be customer facing.
Here you can edit or remove line items, but you cannot edit the quantity or price.
Additional Charges / Discounts & Taxes
These will carry over from the sales order but can be modified on the invoice as needed.
Terms & Services
Any additional unique terms, conditions, disclaimers or explanations can be added here.